Multi-Camera Capture Card Recommendations and Setup
If attempting to do a multi-camera setup, it is necessary to use a multi-input capture card unit. This unit is put into an enclosure box, or installed directly into the computer if using a PC tower, and allows for multiple cameras to be brought into Production Truck.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Equipment Setup Recommendation
Use a single capture card device within an enclosure box as opposed to a single capture card for multiple cameras for a few reasons:
- Capture cards are externally powered and a single computer cannot power more than a few capture cards or external devices simultaneously.
- The computer being utilized likely does not have enough external ports to support multiple capture card inputs
- Generally, it's more convenient to have a single unit, with a single input into the computer when needed to set up, break down, and transport a setup.
Capture Care Recommendations
- Blackmagic Design DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder Capture Card
- Magewell Pro Capture Quad HDMI Card (4 Channel)
- Blackmagic Design DeckLink Duo 2
- Magewell Pro Capture Quad SDI Card (4-Channel)
Enclosure Box Recommendations
Our suggested capture card enclosure box is the Sonnet Echo Express model. See below our recommendations:
Assess if you are wanting to use SDI cabling or HDMI cabling prior to purchasing a capture card. HDMI cabling is limited in the fact that it can only go up to 75-100 feet without a signal booster in between. SDI cabling can go up to 300 feet without a booster, making it a little bit more practical for longer runs of cabling.
This will also determine which capture card is needed from above.
Multi Camera Capture Card Setup
Learn how to set up the multi-camera capture card device.
What You Will Need:
- Blackmagic Decklink Quad or Duo Capture Card; Magewell Pro Capture Card Quad
- Sonnet Echo Express
- Phillips Screwdriver
Take the Sonnet Echo Express box and flip it over. Unscrew the four screws at the bottom of the Echo Express chassis. Slide the inner unit out of the exterior cover.
Insert the Capture Card into the interior chassis. Screw in the capture card to secure it to the chassis.
Slide the inner area back into the exterior casing and fasten the screws again.
Depending on if you went with an HDMI or SDI capture card, you should see your ports at the back of the Sonnet Echo Express box. In the below example, you can clearly see our SDI connections are visible and ready to use.
Plug your Sonnet Echo Express and Capture Card into the computer. Plug in the box to power and into the computer via Thunderbolt.
Below, the A cable is the thunderbolt connecting to the Mac and the B cable is the power for the box itself plugged into an outlet.