To help readers easily consume your content and save time, it’s best to write at a reading level of seventh grade or below. (That means that a person with a seventh-grade education would be able to read and understand your writing.) There are a number of great tools out there that can easily assess the reading level of your content — we use hemingwayapp.com.
A low reading level improves the experience for everyone, especially benefiting people with cognitive impairments, people who don’t speak English as a first language, and people who may be distracted while reading.
To keep the reading level of your content accessible:
- Break your content into well-organized sections and headings.
- Omit any unnecessary words.
- Write simple sentences in active voice.
- Avoid slang, jargon and idioms.
- Use common words and contractions.
- Limit yourself to one topic per paragraph and one thought per sentence.
- Check your content on hemingwayapp.com.