Hudl enables you to mark up videos with your telestratations, and gives you the ability to add text notes and spot shadows on top of the video. With interactive video notes, you can share your coaching points, break down an opposing defense, or deliver practice corrections directly on the video so your team can learn from you even when you aren’t together in the same room.
Before starting this tutorial, go to the Hudl video library and load a playlist. For more information about accessing the library and loading a playlist, see the Watching Videos in Hudl tutorials.
Creating a Video Note
- Click the play icon below your video screen to play your video in the video player.
- Use the playback controls to navigate to the video location where you want to create a video note, then pause the video.
- The Note Tools are located on the left side of your video playback bar.
- To add telestration to the video, click on the video screen when you want to draw. Hudl’s freehand telestration capability is always active.
- Click the Telestration icon for other drawing options.
- Hudl’s drawing tools give you the following telestration options:
- Draw an arrow
- Draw a block
- Draw a straight line
- Draw a box
- Draw freehand
- Delete telestration
Adding Spot Shadows
Spot shadows are a great way to highlight a specific player in a clip.
- To add a spot shadow to your video click the spot shadow icon on the playback bar.
- From the list, choose the spot shadow you would like to place on the video.
- Drag the first slider to adjust the size of the spot shadow.
- Drag the second slider to rotate the spot shadow.
- Click Play to preview the spot shadow.
- Click Remove to delete the spot shadow.
- You can always go back and edit the spot shadow by hanging your mouse over it and following steps 2-7.
Adding Text Notes
- To type a text note on the video, click the Text Note button on the Note Tools menu. A text box will be added on top of the video.
- Click in the text box and type whatever text you would like.
- Click in the bar on top of the text note and drag to position it in the desired location on the video.
- To remove the text box, click the red X in the top left corner of the text box. This will permanently delete the text box.
Sharing Telestrations and Text Notes
Your video notes are saved on timeline above the video playback tools.
- Click on a video note pin on the timeline to skip to the portion of the clip with those notes.
- The name of the coach who created the video note will appear along with the share button and a red X delete button.
- Click the share icon to share your notes with other users.
- Drag and drop or Select the users or groups you would like to share the voice note with and click the right arrow to add them to the Share list. If you would like to share the voice note with everyone, use the double arrows to move all users into the Share list.
- You have the option to enter a brief message to send to everyone receiving the voice note in the Message box. This message will be included in the email each user will receive.
- Click the Share button at the bottom of the dialog box to share the voice note.
- The recipients will receive a notification that you have shared the voice note with them.