In Hudl, managing your breakdown columns is completely under your control. Adding breakdown columns allows you get as specific as you want with your breakdown. By editing your breakdown column values, you are able to ensure that film breakdown is quick and efficient for everyone involved. Hudl allows you to control whether players can view specific breakdown columns, and also to lock column values – keeping unnecessary values from being added to your value options.
Editing your values also makes running reports and spotting tendencies more efficient. If a formation name has changed or you simply don’t run a specific play, you have the option to edit or delete the value from your manage page.
Any changes you make on Hudl.com will appear in future Hudl Video Editor projects.
Manage Your Breakdown Data
- After you’ve logged into Hudl.com, click on the button.
- The resulting page will be your team’s manage page. Within the Video Details section, click the Breakdown Data button.
- The resulting page will show a list of all your breakdown columns, along with their possible values.
Adding New Breakdown Columns and Values
- Click the Add New Breakdown button to add a new breakdown column.
- In the resulting text box, create a name for the breakdown column.
- Use the dropdown menu to specify whether the column will contain:
- Text: Words, special characters, and letters can be intermixed with numbers.
- Numbers: Only numbers are allowed. Values can be sorted. Hudl can perform mathematical operations (like min, max, and average) on number columns. You will be able to edit ranges for number columns.
- Roster: The only acceptable values will be players from your roster. Player jersey numbers and names are acceptable values.
Editing Existing Breakdown Columns and Values
- To edit an existing column, hover your mouse over the column name and click the Edit button that appears.
- From here, you have several options for editing:
- Adding Another Value
- You can add a new value by typing the name in the Add a new value… text box. Hudl will also add values as you go while you’re breaking down film in the library. Adding values will make the breakdown process much quicker and more efficient, as a pre-added value will auto-populate after typing in the first few letters.
- When you have added all your desired values, you can check the box to lock data to just those values. By locking your values, new values will not be added during breakdown. This is a way to prevent incorrect entries from being added to possible breakdown values.
- Changing or Hiding a Value
- Hover your mouse over the value you wish to edit and click on the pencil icon that appears.
- To change the name of the value, start typing the new name in the Change this value to… text box and click Save.
- Click Don’t Use This Value Anymore to hide the value. When you choose to get rid of a value, the data from the values will remain intact, the value will just no longer be an option during future breakdown.
- If you are editing a number column, and wish to change the range of numbers for that specific column, use the drop-down menus to edit the range available for that column, and type a label in the text box.
- Pre-made Hudl Columns
- A column with a Hudl logo beside it signifies a premade column. These cannot be deleted.
- A column with a Hudl logo beside it and a lock symbol beside the values signifies a Hudl column that is locked. There is certain data that should not ever need to be edited (Down, Play Direction, Quarter, etc.), by locking these columns, Hudl keeps breakdown more efficient, as incorrect values will never be added to these columns.