In Hudl, roster management for your team is completely under your control. You can easily add and disable player accounts at any time. Editing your players’ information is simple, and easy to keep updated. The roster is a vital part of Hudl, as it is necessary for a player to be on the roster, in order to interact with other players and coaches through Hudl.
Hudl has the ability to automatically detect if your roster is completed on MaxPreps.com. When you login for the first time, you will have the option to import your schedule and roster. Simply click Import my Roster if you would like to add it from MaxPreps, or No Thanks if you would like to add it from another source.
Note: You will not see this message if this information is not filled out on MaxPreps.
Hudl also allows you to import your roster from an Excel or CSV file, if you already have a file on your computer, or export into an Excel file, if you need to send it to boosters, print it off for a game, etc.
Accessing your Roster
- Click on the Manage button from the Hudl Overview page. On this page you can manage all of the information related to your team.
- Click the Roster link to see your team’s player roster.
- The roster lists the players on your team in numeric order of their jersey number. You will see these components (from left to right):
- Jersey Number - listed in numeric order
- Name - shown as Last name, first name
- Vitals - position, height, and weight
- Seasons - season(s) in which the player is listed
- Video Activity - tracks the amount of video the player has been watching
- By default, the roster from the current season will be shown.
- Filter the roster by season by clicking the year above the roster. You can also choose to view all of your seasons. You can also filter your roster to a specific player by typing the player’s name or jersey number in the filter text box above your roster.
Creating a New Roster Entry
- To create a new roster entry, enter your information in the text boxes above the roster.
- Enter the following information into the text boxes (The name fields are the only required fields for a new entry):
- First – The first name of the new roster entry.
- Last – The last name of the new roster entry.
- Jersey # – The jersey number of the new roster entry. The value must be a number between 0 and 999.
- Class – The class, or school grade, of the new roster entry. The available values are Fr, So, Jr, and Sr.
- Pos – The abbreviation for the position played by the new roster entry.
- E-mail Address – The email of the new roster entry. This field is not required to create a new roster entry; however, it is required for that user to login and interact with the team in Hudl.
- Click to add:
- Cell phone number - The cell phone number of the roster entry. This field is not required to create a new roster entry; however, it is required for a user to receive text messages from hudl.com.
- Cell Carrier - Use the drop-down menu to select the carrier of cell phone service the roster entry uses (example: Verizon or Sprint)
- Home phone number - The home phone number for the roster entry. This is useful in the event an alternative way to reach a player is needed.
- Address Information - This includes street,city, state, and postal code.
- Parent/ Guardian Information - This includes name and phone number.
- Seasons- use the drop-down menu to select the season in which you want to put the roster entry
- Ht. – The height of the new roster entry. The value must be entered in x’y” format where x is feet and y is inches. The values for x and y must also be numeric values.
- Wt. – The weight of the new roster entry. The value must be a number between 0 and 999.
- Additional Notes - Type anything in this text box you would need to remember about the player, but does not have an individual field, for example, if the roster entry has any allergies or health problem.
Importing Your Roster
Importing your roster from an Excel or CSV file can save you a lot of time. It will save you from entering each athlete’s information individually. You can download a template from the Manage Roster page on Hudl.com, or use your own.
- Fill out your roster template, and save it to your computer.
- Click the Import Roster button to begin importing your roster.
- Click Choose File to choose your file. (Hudl will only import rosters in Excel or CSV format)
- Choose your file by double clicking, and click Start Import.
- The resulting screen will list your columns and how Hudl matched them. If a value is matched with the wrong Field with your data (for example, matched home phone with cell phone), use the drop down menus to correctly match them.
- Use Previous and Next to view a different athlete.
- Click Import Roster to import your roster into Hudl.
- If you input an email address for an athlete, they will receive an email with instructions regarding how to set up their Hudl account.
Editing Your Roster
- From the Roster page, move your mouse over the row of the roster entry you wish to edit. The right-side of the row gives you the option to Edit or Disable a player.
- Click the Edit button at the end of the row. The row will now change to a set of text boxes that are editable.
- Edit any of the information in the row and click Save to update the information. If a user has logged into Hudl with their email address, you will not be able to change it for that user. For more on what is required in each row, see step 5 in Creating a New Roster Entry.
- Click the Disable button to disable a roster entry’s account. Disabling a user allows the account to remain associated with team, but the disabled user will not be able to see your team when they log into Hudl. Disabling a user would be best for a player that leaves your team but is still involved in other sports or is suspended for a short amount of time. A disabled player can be re-enabled by clicking the Enable button in a disabled user’s row in the roster.
- Click the trash can to permanently delete a player from your roster. This will remove all of their highlights from their highlight page and cannot be undone.
Export Your Roster
Hudl allows you to export your roster to an Excel spreadsheet. Hudl will export it to an XLXS file, which is only compatible with Microsoft Office 2007. If you have an older version of Microsoft Office, you can download a converter that will allow you download and print your roster.
- Click Export Roster to export your roster.
- An XLXS file will be created with all the information from your Hudl roster.
- Save the file to your computer, so that you can pull up the roster if you need to print it, or need to reference it when you don’t have an internet connection.